For many years Kazakhstan has followed the Soviet education system, which was quite different from what we have now. Starting from 1995Kazakhstan made radical changes in the higher education system.Education in Kazakhstan is divided into general, vocational and higher education. The following levels of education are distinguished: pre-school education and training, high school education, higher and postgraduate professional education.
Higher education in Kazakhstan is acquired on the basis of high school education. To enter the university, graduates of schools pass the final and entrance examinations in the form of a Unified National Test (UNT) or a Comprehensive test (for graduates of past years). Citizens of Kazakhstan have the right to award on a competitive basis the international scholarship "Bolashak" for study abroad.
Admission for international students at most universities on a paid basis is carried out based on the results of an interview conducted by the Admission Committee of the university during the calendar year. Some universities have their own entrance exams.
Duration of study:
Bachelor level – 4 years
Master level – 1; 1.5 or 2 years
PhD level – 3 years
At the beginning of the 2018/2019 academic year in the Republic of Kazakhstan, there are 128 higher education institutions, including branches.The academic year in most universities begins in September and ends in the end of May. It is usually takes 30 weeks of theoretical studies and 6 weeks of session and divided inti 2 semesters: autumn and spring. There is also a summer semester that lasts for approximately 4 weeks. During summer semester students have retakes. There is also an industrial internship (practice) during summer break 1-6 weeks depending on the year of study.
Type of visa for study - C9
There are 2 types of Visa:
- one entry (up to 90 days, with the possibility of one entry. in the case of leaving the country before the expiration of the visa, a new visa is necessary)
- multiple (up to 1 year, with the possibility of entering the country an unlimited number of times. After the expiration of the visa, its extension / renewal is necessary)
For more information, contact the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in your country.
Citizens of the following countries need a visa to study in Kazakhstan:
- Austria, Afghanistan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Great Britain, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Georgia, Egypt, Israel, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Iran, Spain, Italy, Canada, Qatar, China, Korea, Cuba, Lebanon, Libya , Lithuania, Malaysia Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, USA, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, Finland, France, Croatia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Japan.
- Passport copy;
- Visa application form;
- A copy of the contract for the provision of educational services;
- A copy of the order of enrollment, an extract from the order of enrollment;
- Receipt of payment of state tax (0.5 MCI)
- Exact address of residence
At each new entry into the Republic of Kazakhstan, it is necessary to notify the manager of the WELCOME center within 24 hours.
Citizens of the following countries require permanent registration with the Department of Internal Affairs;
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan
Registration is issued for one year. At each new entry into the Republic of Kazakhstan, it is necessary to contact the WELCOME center. With a passport and migration card within 48 hours.
There are several kinds of accommodation variants in Kazakhstan:
The easiest and the cheapest choose. Most dormitories are located close to the campuses and the fee is varied around 8000-28000KZT per month. The only disadvantage might be the limited availability of places in dormitory and not all amenities that you need.
Most students prefer to rent an apartment in the city alone or with friends. There are lot availabilities for students to rent an apartment. The cost depends on the destination and type of house. Average cost of one room apartment is around 70 000- 120 000 KZT.
The guaranteed volume of free medical care at the expense of the state budget is available to all citizens of Kazakhstan, oralmans and permanently residing foreigners.
The package includes the following types of free medical care: primary health care at the place of attachment, ambulance, air ambulance and emergency inpatient care, a full range of medical care for socially significant diseases and major chronic diseases, including drug provision.
In other cases, the cost of medical services will be paid.
We advise you to purchase medical insurance. You can do this online. Here are the sites of some companies:
NOMAD KZ https://nomad.kz/insurance/zdorovie/#neschasny_sluchai
KOMMESK Insurance https://kommesk.kz/tumar.html